REGISTRATION FOR THE HR218 QUALIFICATION IS NOW CLOSED.
Each year, the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office offers an HR218 Pistol Qualification for retired law enforcement and corrections officers who meet the requirements under the HR218 Legislation. This qualification is limited to Sarasota County residents only and takes place at our gun range located at Knight Trail Park, 3445 Rustic Road, in Nokomis.
- A movement has been added to the course. The movement entails no more than one step in each movement, i.e., one step to the rear, one step left, and one step right. There is movement in every stage of fire. If mobility is a concern for you, please understand movement is required.
There is now a stage of one-hand shooting for your dominant (strong) hand and your support (weak or off) hand. If you are unfamiliar with shooting with one hand or not comfortable with shooting with your support hand only, please practice. Qualification day is not the day to figure this out, as you will only get two attempts to pass the qualification.
Time has been shortened on the stage of fire that requires a reload. In the past, it was 6 rounds, reload, and fire 6 more rounds with a time limit of 45 seconds. That time limit has now been reduced to 20 seconds. Time was also reduced at the last stage of fire at the 15-yard line. In the past, it was 6 rounds in 30 seconds, and it is now 6 rounds in 15 seconds.
The last change includes the type of pistol one can qualify with. FDLE no longer allows the use of revolvers. Semi-automatic pistols are now required.
PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW TO LEARN ABOUT THE NEW HR218 QUALIFICATION STANDARDS BEGINNING JULY, 1, 2024.
- Retired SCSO Employees will pay a $10.00 registration fee.
- All other retirees from other agencies will pay a $25.00 registration fee.
- A $1.50 processing fee from GOVPAY will be added to the total at checkout.
*****If you sign up and reserve a spot and pay for it, then you do not show up for the shoot, you will forfeit your fee as this spot could have been used by someone else.*****
Once you reserve your spot through the Survey Monkey sign-up procedure, you can proceed to the link to pay your fee for the HR218 shoot. Payment will be confirmed prior to the shoot date. If you fail to pay the associated fee, you will get a call to remind you to pay for and secure your spot. If you fail to pay the fee, your spot will be forfeited and opened back up to other waiting participants.
Select the link below to pay the registration fee. Lines with an * are required, see screenshots below for assistance. There is a fee associated with using this service as highlighted in the last screenshot. The fee will vary based on the payment amount being entered. Also, registrants have the option of emailing a copy of the receipt to themselves for confirmation and record keeping. A copy of the receipt will also be emailed to Fiscal once the payment is confirmed.
Session 1 – starts promptly at 8:00 a.m. CLOSED
Session 2 – starts promptly at 8:30 a.m. CLOSED
Session 3 – starts promptly at 9:00 a.m. CLOSED
Session 4 – starts promptly at 9:30 a.m. CLOSED
Session 5 – starts promptly at 10:00 a.m. CLOSED
Session 6 – starts promptly at 10:30 a.m. CLOSED
**PARTICIPANTS MUST PRESENT BOTH THEIR RETIRED ID AND CURRENT DRIVER'S LICENSE THE DAY OF THE SHOOT TO RECEIVE THEIR CARD.**
Please note the following instructions for all attendees attending qualification:
- Upon your arrival at the sheriff’s office gun range, training staff will direct you on where to park.
- Once parked, proceed directly to the front of the west range building for a safety check of your firearm by training staff. (Please ensure your firearm is unloaded)
- Once safety check is complete, you will be directed inside to the classroom to complete required paperwork. *****You need to show your drivers license and retired department ID card*****
- Once paperwork is complete, training staff will direct you out to the gun range for qualification. (Note: Please take all of your belongings outside with you as you will not be returning to the classroom)
- Upon completion of your qualification, you will be directed to the front of the building under the porch overhang to receive your certification card. The portable classroom has been removed to make way for future renovations. (Note:If you did not qualify and wish to retry, remain outside and you can join the next group on the line)
- Once you receive your certification card, please exit the portable classroom, and proceed to where you parked for departure.
- Please do not congregate on the property before or after your session.
**Note: all fields must be completed in order to register.