The prevailing image of the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office is a uniformed deputy and their distinctive green and white car with the gold star. There are, however, a wide variety of exciting career opportunities throughout the Sheriff’s Office, including sworn and civilian positions in Law Enforcement, Courts and Corrections and the Public Safety Communications Center.
The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Current openings are listed below. Hover on the Careers tab again to review benefits available to Sheriff's Office employees, download an application, or examine the requirements of the Physical Abilities Test (for sworn positions).
Applicants must complete all applicable forms and submit them along with the application or it will not be accepted. The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office keeps applications on file for one year. Specify on the application the position for which you are applying. Contact the Human Resources Bureau if you wish to submit an existing application for a different position. There are certain prerequisites for employment with the agency. Civilian applicant prerequisites are listed here. For sworn positions, see the relevant page detailing each position.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Without at least 60 credits from an accredited college, must successfully complete the T.A.B.E. (Test of Adult Basic Education) written test (total battery score of 9.0 or higher with a score of 8.0 or higher in reading and language).
- Must successfully complete an interview with appropriate staff personnel.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must submit to a typing test (specified positions only). Must meet the agency approved Drug and Tobacco Policy.
- Must submit to a polygraph and complete background investigation.
- Must submit to a complete a physical examination including drug screen and hearing test (specified positions only).
Below are the positions that are currently available within the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office. Click the link(s) to view additional details about the position, requirements, responsibilities and other information.