The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office is committed to developing partnerships within our community. The Student Internship Program, which is a joint effort with local universities and colleges, fulfills this role. The program is available to any university or college student who meets the requirements for participation. While working in administrative, operational and support functions, interns are provided an atmosphere for learning and the opportunity to establish relationships that could lead to the possibility of future employment with a criminal justice organization.
For more information call Sheriff's Office Human Resources at 941.861.4153 or download the application packet below.
Criteria for participation in the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office Student Internship Program as set forth in Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office General Order 9.7 are as follows:
1. Applicants must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
2. Enrolled in a two (2) or four (4) year degree program as a junior or senior standing at an accredited university or college.
3. The student must have a 3.0 or higher grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
4. Applicant must be in compliance with the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office Drug Free Policy and Tattoo/Ornamentation Policy.
5. The student, prior to acceptance in the Internship Program, must submit the following:
a. A signed letter from applicant’s university/college advisor requesting placement, a minimum of ninety (90) days prior to the beginning of the target semester. Letter to include:
- Student’s full name, date of birth, social security number, present address and phone number
- Inclusive dates of semester during which internship is requested
- Total hours required by the university/college
- Number of hours per week required by the university/college
- Contact information for applicant’s university/college advisor and/or intern
- List of any rules, regulations, etc. required by the university/college for the agency and/or intern
b. A copy of applicant’s official transcripts from all university/colleges attended including present sponsor (Academic probation is not acceptable).
c. A minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation from applicant’s current university/college faculty or staff.
d. A photo copy of intern’s current Driver’s License and Social Security card.
e. Completed notarized Internship Application, signed notarized Sheriff's Office Release of Liability waiver, proof of medical insurance and Personal Inquiry waiver.
6. Applicant must successfully pass a background investigation conducted by the Human Resource Bureau Background Investigation Unit.
a. Any felony arrest will preclude a student from participation in the Sheriff's Office Student Internship Program. All misdemeanor arrests will be reviewed on a case by case basis and may be cause for exclusion from the program.
b. The Human Resource Intern Coordinator or his/her designee will interview prospective intern applicants to determine suitability to successfully complete the program. The Human Resource Intern Coordinator will forward qualified student applications via the chain of command to the Administrative Division Commander or designee, who will make the final determination for selection.
7. Deviation from the stated criteria must be addressed in writing to the Administrative Division Commander.
8. Students accepted into the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office Student Internship Program do not receive wages or compensation from the Sheriff's Office for said activities and participation.
9. The intern will be required to submit a comprehensive report (APA Style) about his/her internship experiences. This report will include the intern's assessment of the Sheriff's Office and must be turned in on the last day of the program or no final evaluation will be sent to the intern's university/college.
FOLLOW THIS LINK TO DOWNLOAD AN APPLICATION